Rutland Hollow School; District 9
Original Rutland districts now include in the Carthage Central area are No.7 (Felts Mills) and No.9 (Rutland Hollow). No. 14 (Black River) was established at a later date. A few one-room schools were built before the advent of free common schools; one historical work notes that there were four framed schoolhouses in the town in 1813.
"Deep down in the Hollow, about midway, a road comes spiraling down, crosses the Hollow road (not a four-corners; the roads intersect a few hundred yards apart) and abruptly "stands on end" as it struggles out of the valley toward the village of Black River. At this intersection is the Rutland Hollow schoolhouse, a white building with a cement porch and three trees in the yard; two maples and an elm. Behind the school is the narrow, flat floor of the Hollow, about an eighth of a mile wide, with farms strung along it like beads on a string. A small creek winds along; above it, to the south, the valley wall rises 300 feet in half a mile, literally rising to the sky." Description by Lyle Raymond, (CRT, 1959)
The first or one of the first, teachers in Rutland Hollow was Miss Naomi Blackmer. Others who taught in the Hollow schools were Curtis Mallory, Jacob Fuller, Zelotus Harvey, Charles Dayon, Jason Clark, Horatio Sherman, Gardner Towne, A. P. Sigourney, John M. Dunlap, John Felt, the Misses Cornelia Johnson and Adeline M. Brown and Elijah Graves.
The first schoolhouse for District 9 that we have definite record of was located on the opposite, or western corner, from the present site. A deed dated April 13, 1830, states that Reuben Scott and Susannah, his wife, sold .18 of an acre to District 9. About 1856, the present school-house was built. The district purchased a half-acre lot on April 17, 1856, from Jonathan Treadway and Mahala, his wife, for $50. The deed was recorded in Book of Deeds 127, page 296. Total disbursements for 1864 were $87.84. This included teaching for one term, $73.50 and the purchase of one broom, 31 cents.
In 1954, the same year that the Carthage centralization took effect, the Rutland Hollow school was closed, ending at least 150 years of instruction in Rutland Hollow (excepting the short intervals that the school was closed. The schoolhouse, idle since that time, had not been sold at the time of Mr. Raymond's writing (1959).
In addition to teachers already mentioned, Mary J. Sterling taught in 1905-06. Other teachers, as disclosed in attendance reports, were; 1927-29, Mrs. Hattie Harter; 1929-30, Mrs. Monica Martin; 1930-34, Mrs. Blanche Quartz; 1934-36, Ella Corey; 1936-37, Marian Maxim, Florence Wilber; 1938-41, Florence Wilbur; 1940-43, Mrs. Lucy Porter; 1944-52, Mrs. Blanche Quartz; 1942-52, Laura J. Lowery; 1952-54, Melva B. Coté.
CRT, March 5, 1959
Presently on the site of the Rutland Hollow School - February 2004