Rogers Crossing School, District 11, Wilna and Croghan
In 1841, the first year of the organization of the town of Croghan, 73 children were taught in the township's original six districts - Nos. 1, 2, 3, 9, 11 and 15. Of these districts, only No. 11 has any bearing on the Carthage Central district. The area about Rogers Crossing, one of the oldest settled regions in the town of Croghan, was knows as the Irish Settlement long before the coming of the railroad. There was a school district here, too, when this section was still part of the town of Watertown.
District No. 11, partly in the town of Wilna, had its school-house off the Texas road in the town of Croghan. Directly across from the school, a connecting road leaves the Texas Road, and goes in a direct line to Rogers Crossing, a short distance away. The school house can be seen plainly from the Crossing. The outlook on the northerly side of the school site is somewhat bleak, being mostly low ground, covered with brush and some woods.
Many years ago, this school was also known as the "Red School", because it was painted red. After the building was sided with green shingles it also became known as the "Green School". The term "Rogers Crossing School:, only used occasionally years ago, became more prevalent in recent years.
What is Rogers Crossing? To be specific, it is where the road to North Croghan crosses the Adirondack branch of the New York Central railroad. There is also a four-corners of roads there, located just inside a corner of Lewis county. The railroad was first built in 1869, when the Black River and St. Lawrence Railroad company constructed a line from Carthage to Natural Bridge, using wooden rails.
The District 11 schoolhouse is at least 110 years old, though its actual date of construction is not known. No deed is recorded for the lot. The "Guyette deed" - to a plot of land adjacent to the schoolhouse - provided space for a playground. Inhabitants of the district used to hold such popular social events as box socials in the schoolhouse, and from the proceeds brought5 extra equipment for the school. A victrola was purchased in later years to make these events more entertaining. Drinking water was brought from nearby farms, but a well was dug before the school closed. There was a woodhouse in the rear and inside toilets were installed.
The Roll of Teachers: Teacher before 1900 included Maggie and Catherine Foley, Mrs. Lizzie Branagan, Katie Murray, Minnie Shaver, E. L. Foley, Ellen Delmore and Alice Howard. Among those who taught after 1900 were Jean Shetland, Emma Burns, Switzer Smith, Rose Mosher, Florence Douglas and Marie Shetland. The roll of teachers beginning in 1914-15 is incomplete. The late Mrs. Emmett A. Martin, for example, is known to have taught in the school some time in the 1924 to 1928 periods. With omissions owing to incomplete records, the roll follows: 1914-15, Florence Fitzsimmons; 1915-16, Florence McAvoy; 1916-17, Edith M. Shaffrey; 1918-19, Ester B. Clark; 1919-21, Eulalie O'Brien; 1923-24, Blanche Clark; 1928-29, Veronica Thompson; 1931-32, Mary Pratt; 1932-33, Ruth Pratt; 1932-33, Ruth E. Clark; 1933-34, Doris Exford; 1934-35, Geraldine Clark; 1935-38, Frances Shinbourne; 1938-40, Rose Charles; 1940-41, Suzanne B Gill; 1941-42, Mrs. Grace W. Martin; 1942-44, Mary S. Jarvis; 1944-45, Mary S. Jarvis, Mrs. Loretta O'Neil.
Cyril Kempney was trustee when, on August 23, 1945, it was decided at a special meeting to close the school. At the last annual meeting, held in 1953, it was voted to keep the school closed and the trustee was authorized to contract for transportation. Seven voters were present at that meeting.
Texas Road School: click this link to read article.
CRT, Feb 26, 1959