Little Red School House; District 9
The Little Red Schoolhouse is located about two miles from Carthage on the Alexandria Road. Situated on the west side of the road, it is surrounded by a grove of small trees and brush, the immediate area about is being mostly low, swampy terrain. The traditional name, "Little Red Schoolhouse" was bestowed upon the District 9 building because it was painted bright red many years ago.
In June of 1804 a surveyor, Cadwallader Child, and four assistants left Carthage to survey the present site of Alexandria Bay. Upon their return, they located a road which became known as the Alexandria road. According to local sources, the first settler to locate on the Alexandria road was Timothy Hosford, in 1820.
District No. 9 purchased its lot on March 18, 1850, from Edward and Mary Galvin for $20. The District was represented by Trustees Isaac S. Crane, Charles B. Hosford and Edward Galvin. One eighth of an acre of land is contained in the parcel and the deed is recorded in the Book of Deeds 120, page528.
Among the school's teachers prior to 1913 were: Fannie Lamphear, Letta Douglas, Clara Thoma and Mabel J Gayne (1909-1910). The roll from that point forward: Jessie Berger, 1913-1914; Myrtle Beebe, 1914-1916; Grace Pierce, 1916-1918; Kathleen Connelly, 1918-1920, Ada Forbes, 1920-1921; Sophia Clark, 1921-1922; Marion Wilson, 1922-1923; Cherra Countryman, 1923-1924; Marie B. Flynn, 1924-1926. Veronica Thompson, 1926-1928; Geraldine Clark, 1928-1929; Elizabeth Shortt, 1929-1930; Geraldine Clark, 1930-1931; Monica Martin, 1931-1932; Geraldine Clark, 1932-1934; Kathleen Murphy, 1934-1936; Viola Morisette, 1937-1940; Viola Morisette Bush, 1940-1941.
In 1940-1941, with an impending war at hand, Pine Camp was suddenly enlarged to 120,000 acres. The main force of this expansion ripped through the whole northern part of Wilna forcing the closure of many schools because of the drastic reduction of revenue.
CRT, July24, 1958
Currently the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lonnie Arndt. Mrs. Arndt said that the maple trees in the top picture were planted by two of her aunts and that the flag pole in front of the home is the original one. Robin also recalls one of her aunts telling her that she drove to school (at least once) as a child of eight.