Line School, Champion District 11
Champion School District No. 11, a joint district in the towns of Champion and Denmark, encompasses what is commonly known as the "Pleasant Lake" section. Lake Creek, outlet to the lake, bisects the district. About midway through the district, the creek cascades gently into a little valley. The hills of Champion and Demark ring the valley, watching over the little schoolhouse at the intersection of roads. Several houses keep each other company in a small cluster around the school site. Straight as a string, the town line passes through, forming one boundary of the school lot; hence the name "Line School".
When the town of Champion was divided into school districts in 1813, there was no school site below Pleasant Lake. Finally more settlers arrived and on May 16, 1820, joint District No 11 was created. The Champion commissioner's records for 1820 report that there were 36 children of school age (5-15) and that the new district received $15.99 in state aid. On April 25, 1825, most of the territory of District 11 in the town of Denmark was taken away and incorporated into a new district, with its schoolhouse located on one of the corners near the present farm of George Pridell. A note in the clerk's minutes of District 11 informs us that a stone schoolhouse was erected in 1826 on the present site.
At a special meeting on Feb. 11, 1850, it was decided that those who sent children to summer school should board the teacher throughout the term. A budget was made out with $40 allotted for the teacher's wages; $3.12 for wood; 75 cents for a pail and cup; 50 cents for brooms. A district library was established in 1857 with 157 books. In 1855 the district built a backhouse for $16.
The school on George Pridell's corners was closed and the district known as Denmark No. 12, was dissolved Nov. 27, 1857. District 11 then got back more of its territory in the town of Denmark. The District 11 school site was appropriately located on a corner of land belonged to the Campbell homestead. The deed of the farm reserved one-quarter acre of land for a school site. In 1865, the schoolhouse was valued at $300, the lot at $25. Teachers were paid $8 per week for the winter term and $5 for the summer term.
Sometime about 1870, a new school was erected, but why it was needed is not clear; there are indications that there was a fire. On March 23, it was voted to tear down and build a new one on the same foundation The new school was to be a one-room structure with a woodhouse. It was voted to raise $800 and use "as much of the sum as necessary."
A motion was passed in 1875 allowing the use of the schoolhouse for meetings, but not for lectures. A vestibule was added in 1876 for a cost of $40. This entrance was parallel with the road, contrary to the usual practice of having the entrance to a school face the road. It cost $231.41 to run the school in 1885. Fred Parks was hired for $45 to paper and paint the schoolhouse. Inside toilets were installed in the Line school in 1919, against vigorous opposition. Electric lights were installed in 1930. A motion to transport high school students lost in 1932 but four years later the same motion passed. The next year it was voted to also transport seventh and eighth graders to village schools.
On July 1, 1954, District 11 passed from existence in its 134th year. The voters approved the sale of the schoolhouse before the district was discontinued. On Nov. 24, 1956 the Line School was sold at auction to Perley Baxter, who converted it into a dwelling. Mr. Baxter dug a well, something that the school had never had, having obtained its water until the last from neighbors' well.
About 1857, Harlem Dunlap, Olive Carpenter, Peter Royal; 1858, Ellen M. Powell, Susan Edwards; 1859, J. B. Loomis, Hattie Potter; 1860, Deborah Kimball; 1861, James Hartwell, Eliza Davis; 1862, Susan Herrick, Chester Carter, Ellen Locklin; 1863, John Francis, Elizabeth Phelps; 1864, Thomas Cummins, Augusta Freeman; 1865, 1865, Melvin Campbell, Elvira Osgood; 1866, ___ Humphrey, Carrie Hurd. 1868, R. E. Weaver, Ella M. Plank; 1869, B. Getman; 1870, Aldin Campbell, Mariah Joslyn; 1871, B. F. Brown; 1873, Mary Doud; 1874-75, Marian Cutler, Ada Loomis; 1875-76, Frank Evans, May Martin; 1875-77, Emelina Houghton, Jennie Draper; 1877-78, H. Rea; 1876-79, Frank Vebber, Carrie Cutler; 1879-80, Louisa Beazer, A. B. Westcott, A. Northrup; 1882-83, Letta Douglas, Hattie Peck; 1883-84, Frank Davis, Libbie Hart.
(Between 1884 and 1895, incomplete records indicate only two teachers, Bertha and Jennie Hubbard.) 1894-95, Joanna Fitzpatrick, Ferna Vrooman; 1896-97, Maude Severance. (Between 1897 and 1899, incomplete records list only two teachers, Vivian Pelletier and Lina Pierce) 1899-1900, Ida Slater; 1900-16, Clara Thoma, Julia Conroy, Mrs. George Garrett, Hilda J. Comstock, Veva Davis, Ruby Burnup; 1919-20, Hazel E. Maxim; 1920-21, Jennie M. Mack; 1921-22, Isabelle M. Arnot; 1922-24, Olive Flint; 1924-25, Ruth Zahn; 1925-27, Norma Pridell; 1927-28, Melburn C. Vrooman; 1928-30, Norma Pridell.
1930-31, Merle Swain; 1931-34, Gerald Woodruff; 1934-35, Mrs. Gladys Gilbert; 1935-40, Norma Pridell; 1940-43, Mary A Christman; 1943-44, Emma M. Gricith; 1944-46, Ella Vaughn; 1946-47, Vernita Shampine; 1947-53, Helen Steacy; 1953-54, Mildred Herron.
CRT, Nov. 26, 1959
Line School today - March 2003 - home of Carol Tripp