Hadsall School; Rutland District 13
Former District No. 10 lies in the town of Rutland with its schoolhouse in the town of Champion. The Hadsall school is located on a four-corners; one road leads north into Rutland Hollow and another leads east to Champion village, both paved. The other two roads are now almost impassable from disuse. On the west side of the Rutland Hollow road is the school site, occupying a small piece of land between the four-corners and Townsend Creek. this is one of the most picturesque school sites in the town of Champion.
On June 8, 1816, District 10 was created, and the first schoolhouse was a log structure located on the same four-corners as the present building. Concurrent with the history of old District No. 10 is the history of old District No.5, one of the original districts in Champion, whose schoolhouse was located on another four-corners, situated west of the Carlton Whittaker. District 5 was dissolved in 1850 and added to adjoining Districts 4, 10 and 16 (Champion No. 19 later became known as No. 5)
The dissolution of District 5 was appealed, but the appeal was dismissed on the grounds that the district was small and weak and that it was "better to send the pupils two miles to a good school than a quarter of a mile to a poor one." The deed to the No. 5 school is one of the earliest recorded deeds for a rural school in this area. Dated Oct 5, 1822, it also noted that a stone school had lately been erected on the site.
In 1867, District 10 decided to build a new schoolhouse (the increase in the number of pupils caused by adding a large portion of No. 5 may have been a factor). First, a legal, district owned lot was obtained when Soloman Hadsall sold a quarter acre to the district for $50. the deed was recorded in Book of Deeds 169, age 474. A schoolhouse was constructed the same year.
The District 10 school always was known as "the Hadsall School", a very appropriate name, for the Hadsalls came to Champion two years after its settlement, and resided on the homestead farm until 1880. The Hadsall cheese factory was located across the road from the schoolhouse. As the result of a very fortunate chain of events, some of the attendance reports for the Hadsall school have been preserved, many of them more than 125 years old. Records exist recording the first class of thirty-three students to be taught in the new schoolhouse in 1867-68. In 1884, a motion was adopted that Steele's "Hygienic Physiology" be used in the school for the next five years. In 1889 the trustee was authorized to shingle the schoolhouse with "No. 1 pine or cedar shingles", if necessary.
In 1902, the trustee was directed to purchase a bell for the belfry, "not to cost more than $5.00." Drinking water was brought from a spring near the bank of Townsend creek. (Being sent to fetch the drinking water was a privilege indeed; it provided a delightful break in the routine of the school day, and those who went never hurried, stretching to the limit the time allowed for the errand.
In 1928 it was agreed to build a garage to build a garage for the teacher's car. This was done and added to the rear of the schoolhouse. In 1930 it was voted to have a well dug and investigate "some way to get water for use at the schoolhouse". The first move to close the Hadsall school came is 1938 and the motion was defeated. In 1940 it was voted to contract the high school pupils to West Carthage. It was voted to wire the school for electricity in 1946.
District No. 10 went to its grave with the formation of the central district, but the Hadsall school did not close its doors until 1956 when Mrs. George Chisholm walked out the door, bringing to an end the 140 year line of teachers. In October of that year, the building was sold at auction to John T. Eddy for $1100.
Roll of Teachers: 1867-68, Elijah Graves and Emma Coon; 1972-73, Elijah Graves, Frank Orvis, Aldie Schwartz; 1873-74, Clara Johnson, Julia Samson; 1884-1885, Frank Orvis, Mary Dunlap; 1885086, Frank Orvis, Carrie Slack; 1888-89, Celinda Baldick; 1889-90, Celinda Baldick; 1893-94, George Duffy, Grace Harris; 1897-98, Carrie Owen; 1896-99, Carrie Owen. (It was the custom to hire two teachers each year- one for the winter term, one for the summer term.) Other early teachers, their years unknown, were Frances Giblin and a Miss French.
1901-02, Helen Woolworth; 1903-04, N. S. Churchill; 1904-05, Carrie Owen; 1907-08, Grace Colligan, Anna Slack, Edith Purcell; 1908-09, May Roberts; 1910-11, Nellie Crain; 1011-12, Katheryn Colligan; 1912-13, Nettie Merrill; 1913-19, Hazel Maxim; 1918-20, Hazel Feistel, 1920-22, Julia Driscoll; 1922-23, Marion C. Earle, 1923-24 Monica Beach; 1924-25, Hilda A. Sterling; 1925-26, Monica E. Beach; 1926-30, Jessie Purcell; 1930-32, Elizabeth Carpenter; 1932-34, Mary Pratt; 1934-38, Dorothy Lyng. 1938-40, Marguerite Garrison; 1940-41, Ruth E Wood; 1941-45, Julia Driscoll; 1945-46, Edith Graves; 1946-47, Mrs. Hubbard, 1947-1948; Flora Carlisle; 1948-50, Elsie Sullivan; 1950-54, Melva Cote; 1954-55, Mrs. Marion Redmond; 1955-56, Mrs. George Chisholm.
Passing the site of the Hadsall School in later years, one would have seen a neat appearing white building trimmed with green. Near the top of the building, in green letters, was the date it was built, 1867, plain for all to see.
CRT, June 4, 1959
Hadsall School today owned by Mr. & Mrs. Nelson Eddy - February 2004