About 6 a.m. on March 2, alarms began ringing on the east side of the Black River.  Men and women rushed to the site, the 200 block of State Street, where they found the former Auction Barn (the old J. J. Newberry building) in flames.  Soon they were sounding alarms in many neighboring villages as fire departments from North Pole, Croghan, and Harrisville as well as the larger communities like Lowville, Watertown, Copenhagen were called to help fight the spreading flames.  A pumper was positioned on the south bank of the Black River: the Town of Watertown truck was in almost the identical place the pumper from that city had been positioned to help fight the Great Carthage Fire of 1884.  This truck, however was pumping between 1200 and 2000 gallons of the frigid Black River water up to the twin nozzles of the Town of Watertown aerial

Truck.  (seen below).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Eight am March 2, 2002 -

Downtown Carthage NY

Fire destroys historic buildings

 

 

 return to home